Trail / Less Aggressive Off Trail – Skill Level, Novice to Intermediate
Off Trail – Skill Level, Intermediate to Advanced
Mountain – Skill Level, Advanced/Expert
Trail / Less Aggressive Off Trail
These rides will accommodate riders with skill levels ranging from Novice to Intermediate. Rides will use the groomed trail system and stop at play areas like meadows & clear cuts for riders in the group that want to test their off trail skills and get some pointers. Rides will cover approximately 50-70 miles and will be typically done before dark.
Off Trail Rides
- Skill level required for these rides is Intermediate to Advanced. Groomed trails will be used to access mountain play areas.
- These rides are open to all Winter Knights members and their guests that have a desire to learn the basic skills needed to ride off trail.
- The only requirement for these rides are a modern long track mountain sled, a good shovel, GMRS 2-way radio and a sense of humor.
- These rides are good for evaluating riders wanting to participate in the Mountain Rides (see below).
- Skill level required for these rides is Advanced/Expert.
- Advanced off trail skills are needed to participate in these rides. Rides will be a mix of groomed & ungroomed trails to access back country riding areas.
- Portions of these rides will be in treed areas with somewhat technical and challenging terrain and modest side-hilling.
- There will plenty of chances for attempting steep climbs and descents.
- There will be plenty of opportunity to learn new skills.
- Avalanche Awareness Training is an essential part of these rides, as well as having the proper equipment to include a modern long-track mountain sled, backpack with shovel and probe, GMRS 2-way radio, and an up-to-date Avalanche Beacon properly worn.
- Due to the nature of these rides, it is recommended that riders wishing to participate in Mountain Rides attend one of the Off Trail Rides initially to become familiar with the ride leaders and learn the expectations of this ride category.